Just a reminder in these fear and hate ridden times: It's just a ride
The main issues I've have with Plasma Mobile on Manjaro:
- cell data doesn't work
- keyboard sometimes doubles key presses
- ui can sometimes flickers
Once cell data works, I'll be using Plasma Mobile.
There are more issues with Phosh:
- it's hideous
- keyboard is hard to hide
- GPS doesn't work
- weather app is broken
- Firefox is more reliable than Gnome Web, but some of the UI features don't work and PWAs require terminal work
- Gnome Web has better mobile experience, but it's really slow
“How old were you when you realised it's called "firmware" because it's halfway between "hardware" and "software"?”
I received the KDE #PinePhone yesterday, and it's super cool! Given that my previous phone was 6 years old and had a failing battery and troubles receiving calls, it's definitely an upgrade.
I really liked Plasma Mobile, but I had to switch to Mobian w/ Phosh because it was quite unstable. Mobian seems just barely complete enough for the PinePhone to become my daily driver, but we'll see how it goes. The hardware is what I've come to expect from Pine64: very nice especially for the price.
Also included was dried coffee & creamer, napkins, moist towelette, moisture-resistant matches, and cinnamon gum (yum!).
I received some MREs today to use in case of emergencies, and there was an extra in the box that I decided to eat for lunch.
Eating it was probably a bad idea, but we'll see.
I was surprised at how much of it was good. Menu 20: Hash Brown Potatoes w/ Bacon, Peppers and Onions. Main course was fairly good. Crackers & cheese were okay. Peanuts were good. Cranberry grape drink mix kinda sucked. We'll see about the granola w/ blueberries and the filled french toast (which kinda scares me).
❝Since her death in 1979, the woman who discovered what the universe is made of has not so much as received a memorial plaque. Her newspaper obituaries do not mention her greatest discovery. […] Every high school student knows that Isaac Newton discovered gravity, that Charles Darwin discovered evolution, and that Albert Einstein discovered the relativity of time. But when it comes to the composition of our universe, the textbooks simply say that the most abundant atom in the universe is hydrogen. And no one ever wonders how we know.❞ — Jeremy Knowles, discussing the complete lack of recognition Cecilia Payne gets, even today, for her revolutionary discovery. (via alliterate)
OH WAIT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CECILIA PAYNE
• Cecilia Payne won a scholarship to Cambridge.
• Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said to heck with that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
• Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
• Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne — after telling her not to publish).
• Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
• Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard and the first woman to head a science department at Harvard. She also inspired entire generations of women to take up science.
• Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.
The QA part of impeachment 2 seems to be largely masturbatory.
The third part of the defense today stated that the prosecution didn't prove incitement of riot legally, which is not the question at hand. They blamed the violence on Jan. 6th on the high political tensions created by both sides, and they said that holders of political office still have the full protection of the first amendment and are not held to higher standard.
It was at about that point that I got pulled off into meetings.
The second part of the defense today claimed that the prosecution's evidence has been fabricated/manipulated. They pointed out the lie about Trump's Charlottesville comments. They played a super-cut of liberals calling for impeachment and of liberals saying the word fight. They drew a false equivalency between what the President says and what the entire left of the nation says.
The disembodied true self of a filthy hooman
"I appreciate SDF but it's a general-purpose server and the name doesn't make it obvious that it's about art." - Eugen Rochko