sci.* is pretty active!
sci.math is especially prolific
Seeing one soc.culture.* for every nation in the world, plus one soc.culture.niggers makes me wanna puke 🤮
It seems that any politics rational discussion has fleed from Usenet. All non-technical and non-hobby groups are populated by fascists and maniacs.
THERE are some anti-fascism groups, which could be filled of left-wing nuts, but they are not.
Nobody is left to argue with racists and toxic posters
tw.* has some groups with activity, but I have no idea what they are saying, may be spam for all I know 🤷♂️
ucb.politics.progressive has some activity. Progressive discussions? Nope! Our usual friends
uk.d-i-y has over 7000 high-quality messages! Wow!
uk.legal has 5000 messages with political discussion, but they seem to be different people than the usual suspects, and they talk about UK politics
Okay, I'm so tired. Let's do a quick recap:
- I've skimmed over 66.520 newsgroups trying to find some life signals on the Usenet
- This thread contains my livefeed of hot takes and first impressions
- I will review this thread and give it proper format as a blogpost next week
- The Usenet is 95% dead, 3% politics-spammed by 20 people, 1% spam-spammed, and 1% highly active groups full of life
- You have to find that 1%, it's quite hidden
"I appreciate SDF but it's a general-purpose server and the name doesn't make it obvious that it's about art." - Eugen Rochko