There is something incredibly handsome and stylish about RPN:
my #calculator chronology, brand by brand: Sinclair, Commodore, Texas Instruments, Sharp, HP (at last), Casio, Odhner
Transmission received: SNCF68B - Hello Worlds
So excited that Cosmic Voyage now has a toot-bot running. You can follow @cosmicvoyage to get notified of new stories being published. There's RSS feeds too, if you're of that persuasion.
Starting August 2020 I decided to cut the amount of my hobbies a bit and refocus to just some of them. It's because when you do too many things at once, you don't do any of them properly. As I always considered ZX Spectrum, the activities and people around it to be the centre of my life, I started with that. So right now the czech ZX Spectrum scene has again a diskmag after almost twenty years ( http://restore.zxm.cz - czech only). Then I patched the Prometheus assembler to work on BSDOS but without the DMA (it's already released on demodisk with the Speccy 2010 clone firmware v1.2.8 - https://github.com/mborik/speccy2010/releases). I also managed to get the last Spectrum I didn't have yet - the +3. Several more things are in progress...
Rather than collect 1000s of supervillain bios, train a neural net on them, and style-transfer them all to be about AI, I just had GPT-3 generate the resulting blog post.
I collected my favorite AI supervillains and illustrated them.
Naturally, the tasks must be carefully defined beforehand to make this process work.
Probably the biggest problem is that only 10% of all programmers are actually able to work with an exact concept and plan-but the other 90% believe they belong to this 10%."
(From "Atari ST Machine Language from Abacus Software")
A friend of mine who teaches elementary school, taught her class, “don’t yuck my yum”
It was like a class mantra, all the kids knew and understood the phrase. So, if a kid brought a bean burrito for lunch, and another kid said “gross! I hate beans” burrito-kid could just say “don’t yuck my yum”
It became the perfect phrase when one student liked something another student hated it. Quickly, it moved from the tangible (food, smells, textures) to the intangible (music, religion, quality)
By the end of the year “don’t tuck my yum” was woven into the culture of the class. They actually used the phrase LESS by then, because yuckers would check themselves before tearing anyone down.
And that class of second graders moved to third, secure in the knowledge that it’s ok to love the things you love, even if other people don’t.
A brief history of liquid computers
> A substrate does not have to be solid to compute. It is possible to make a computer purely from a liquid. I demonstrate this using a variety of experimental prototypes where a liquid carries signals, actuates mechanical computing devices and hosts chemical reactions. We show hydraulic mathematical machines that compute functions based on mass transfer analogies. I discuss several prototypes of computing devices that employ fluid flows and jets. They are fluid mappers, where the fluid flow explores a geometrically constrained space to find an optimal way around, e.g. the shortest path in a maze, and fluid logic devices where fluid jet streams interact at the junctions of inlets and results of the computation are represented by fluid jets at selected outlets. Fluid mappers and fluidic logic devices compute continuously valued functions albeit discretized. There is also an opportunity to do discrete operation directly by representing information by droplets and liquid marbles (droplets coated by hydrophobic powder). There, computation is implemented at the sites, in time and space, where droplets collide one with another. The liquid computers mentioned above use liquid as signal carrier or actuator: the exact nature of the liquid is not that important. What is inside the liquid becomes crucial when reaction–diffusion liquid-phase computing devices come into play: there, the liquid hosts families of chemical species that interact with each other in a massive-parallel fashion. I shall illustrate a range of computational tasks, including computational geometry, implementable by excitation wave fronts in nonlinear active chemical medium. The overview will enable scientists and engineers to understand how vast is the variety of liquid computers and will inspire them to design their own experimental laboratory prototypes.
"The payoff for Veltkamp-Dekker splitting is that you can build quad precision arithmetic out of everyday double precision arithmetic."
- Raymond Hettinger
'Exact split into two 26-bit precision components'
t = x * 134217729.0
hi = t - (t - x)
lo = x - hi
return hi, lo
"I appreciate SDF but it's a general-purpose server and the name doesn't make it obvious that it's about art." - Eugen Rochko